- Phone calls late at night from some citizen who is upset because... fill in the blank here with any/all of the following:
- Their garbage can didn't get emptied on time.
- They are opposed to the new swimming pool being built, or being open on Sundays.
- The air in their neighborhood stinks.
- The trains / airplanes are too loud.
- The school is cancelling the after-school program.
- The city increased their fees again.
First, I think most people who do it don't realize the amount of hate that can exist in a small community, and how that hate can be turned against them.
Second, I think some people who run for a city council position firmly believe that they can do some good in their small community.
Third, I think there are more people than we like to believe who do it because they like the ego trip. In my opinion, these are the people who are the least qualified to run a city.
So how do you know what a candidate's motivation is? Talk to the candidate. Call them on the phone. Preferably not late at night.