Friday, March 16, 2007

Discrimination alive and well in Utah

In a post today at Utah Policy Daily, LaVarr Webb repeats what he calls "Irish jokes." The problem with these jokes is that two of the three are about drinking. This makes me wonder if Mr. Webb has ever been to Ireland. Sure there might be Irish people who drink to excessive amounts, but, guess what Mr. Webb, there are Americans who drink to excessive amounts.
To repeat jokes (I'm assuming he is repeating them and didn't make them up on his own.) that give unfair treatment to a group of people on the basis of prejudice is the very definition of discrimination. I hope that is not reflective of the political party that Mr. Webb belongs to. I know the church he belongs to doesn't preach discrimination in any form.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you may be overreacting on this.

To make a blanket statement that Mr. Webb is discriminating against the Irish because he posted a few light-hearted jokes on St. Patricks Day doesn't seem to be fair - or intellectually honest.

ThaddeusQ said...

Over-reacting? Maybe.
Not intellectually honest? Come on. Did you read my post? I gave my feelings and linked to his post. I don't believe I stated things as strongly as the Blog Watch on UPD made it sound.

Anonymous said...

I think we have every right to be upset. Mr. Webb is OBVIOUSLY a deep-seated racist that needs to be taken to task over this. DO NOT LET HIM OFF HOOK. Make sure you right all the editors of the papers to make him pay for this. Maybe we should talk to his bishop to get him excommunicated! What do you say? I'm in!

Anonymous said...

McQuillan walked into a bar and ordered martini after martini, each time removing the olives and placing them in a jar. When the jar was filled with olives and all the drinks consumed, the Irishman started to leave.

"S'cuse me," said a customer, who was puzzled over what McQuillan had done. "What was that all about?"

"Nothing," said the Irishman, "my wife just sent me out for a jar of olives."

Anonymous said...

I hate to say it but coming from a long and proud line of Irish descent, we Irish talk a lot, fight a lot, and look to the devil's vine as if it were milk!
We take pride in those jokes!

Anonymous said...

Why did they invent whiskey?

To keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Its okay, I'm Scottish.

Sean said...

Okay, first off, I know for a fact that Mr. Lavarr Webb has Irish ancestry. Being Irish myself, I know we take pride in our drink and in Irish jokes. I was not offended at all. Secondly, he came right out in the title and said these were BAD Irish jokes. Lighten up!