Friday, January 18, 2008

Why is it always the Mormons fault?

I read a Deseret Morning News article (see here) about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints opposing the sale of so called "alco-pop" in grocery stores. The statement from a LDS Church spokesman says in part "To allow the sale of distilled spirits in grocery and convenience stores promotes underage drinking and undermines the state system of alcohol control."
I also read some of the comments associated with the article. One thing that I found interesting in the comments is the amount of people saying it's the Church's fault that liquor laws are so strict in Utah. One reason I find these comments so interesting comes from my frequent travels at my previous job. I found that Utah is not so different from many states in having strict liquor laws. For example, New Jersey has separate liquor stores that are closed earlier than grocery stores and are also closed on holidays. Last time I checked, New Jersey didn't have a majority of residents who are members of the LDS faith. So how come every time the Utah State Legislature looks at doing anything with regards to our liquor laws, people immediately scream that it's the Mormons fault?

No comments: