Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I want my way, or no way!

An article in the Deseret Morning News talks about the U.S. Flag Protection Amendment. It notes that Sen. Hatch has co-sponsored the bill and that Sen. Bennett will vote against it.
This sounds to me like pure politics. Sen. Bennett says that he has his own Flag Protection Bill and wants it approved instead of the Constitutional Amendment. So, instead of working together, it's okay to say that I want my bill passed and not yours? The article quotes Bennett as saying, "I don't want to amend the Constitution, I won't say never, but I am very reluctant to amend the Constitution, particularly in an area where there isn't a need." Interesting, since the very reason that the Supreme Court has said it's fine to burn the U.S. Flag is because of a Constitutional Amendment.

No comments: