Friday, February 10, 2006

First lawsuit filed

ZDNet is reporting that a lawsuit has been filed challenging the new e-annoyance law. The law, among other things, states:
"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."
So does this mean I'm guilty, if I post my comments on someone else's blog with the intent to annoy that person. This law can have some broad implications. I can see some good points and bad points with this law. I definitely would not want someone to keep sending me an e-mail over and over with the intent to annoy me. However, I'm not so sure that a law against that is a good thing. Do we really want to dictate through legislation what can and cannot be done? Maybe some people need that.

No comments: